Saturday, October 14, 2006

Olympic Medical Center 10K

Today I walked a 10k (6.2 miles) in Port Angeles, WA...

It was a cool and foggy fall morning in Port Angeles...
I got all registered for the event, stashed my purse and the event shirt into the car & went back to the starting area to people watch for a bit.

Then I got to have fun watching the kid's Fun Run... I think they ran 1/2 mile total... But it sure was cute listening to a few little ones recant how they "walked a little and ran to catch up with someone else they wanted to beat!" Too cute!

Soon it was time to start myself... I stayed to the back of the chutes since I knew I would be walking & there is no reason to get in the way of the other people that want to run/jog.

Got off to a quick start along with those doing the 5K... I think there was 175 people in all... 75 doing the 5k and 100 doing the 10k.

This was a beautiful course along the waterfront in Port Angeles... 2/3 of it asphalt and 1/3 rock/packed dirt. Really pretty with the waterfront/water and waves to one side and pretty forest type greenery...

I ended up back with about 15-20 walkers... But we spread out pretty quickly... I was behind an older lady for a bit of time that was walking and jogging... She would walk just long enough for me to catch up with her & I would make a move to pass her and she would jog again! GRRR...

Finally I passed her only to have to stop in front of her and get rid of some uninvited little rocks in my shoe... Wasn't long before I was ahead of her again and for good...

I got to the 10k turnaround at just under 43 minutes... Pretty good in my thoughts... (I hadn't done any distance over 3 miles since my Portland to Coast walk 7 weeks ago!)

Turned around and headed back... Pretty much alone since we had spaced out so much... Since it was an out and back course I was met by the 10 or so people behind me... All smiles having fun!

Also met by a HUGE dog and his owner on the course... The owner was on an adult sized scooter and the dog had been pulling him along... The dog was very interested in the people on the trail... He was HUGE... He stood a good 4 ft tall... (He would have loved to play with Dukie I bet) He and the owner proceeded further through the people in front of me... The owner having quite a time trying to keep control of him... Quite comical if you ask me...

So on the rest of the way back I was following a young lady that had run the fun run & decided she wanted to do the 10k with her mom as well... She hadn't kept up with her mom so she left her on her own to finish up the race... I spoke with her enough to find out that she was nine years old and the two of them (her and her mom) had been doing races together, but she hadn't done more than a 5k... This was the first time she attempted this distance! Impressive... She kept walking until I got up close to her and she would run to put more space between us... Eventually I caught up to her and talked with her a bit and then passed her... I was impressed at her maturity and dedication to completing the walk...

Soon I came around a corner and was able to see the finish line... Funny thing was I didn't have my MP3 player with me so I was thinking of the beats to my favorite song to finish events with... Crazy Frog... So I was singing the song/beats of the song to myself out loud as I finished the last 3/4 mile or so...

It helped me finish strong and quickly... Finishing it with a time of 1 hour 25 minutes... :o)

Just 5 minutes more than my last 10 k time and with little training over 3 miles... :o)

Another fun memory...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home