Monday, May 29, 2006

Lacamas Lake 10 Mile Walk

So it has been raining for the last week & God provided a break in that today for the third annual Memorial Day Lacamas Lake 10 Mile walk.

This is the third time they have held this event, and the third time I have participated...

This time I worked my hardest. Pushed myself as hard as I could & it paid off...

I officially came in as the first place Woman walker & the third place overall walker (behind two very fast guys that finished almost 10 minutes ahead of me!)

The guys were almost a photo finish with a 41 year old man that I had been walking with at the beginning finally catching up with the young 18 year old man that had won the event last year. He caught up with him in the last 10 yards or so & finished just ahead of him... Pretty neat...

But for me, as I was coming in at the end there were two gals close behind me & the announcer was asking if we were going to have another photo finish, which got me to look behind me & the announcer the poke fun at me about looking over my shoulder... I had just worked so hard to get where I was and maintain my lead that I didn't want to lose it right at the end! :o)

So rewind a bit to the start of everything today... My buddy from next door was kind enough to come over to the house and be here while the kids were sleeping before Mikey got home from his last graveyard shift.

I drove out to Camas where the walk was today. Wandered around and people watched until it was time to start. After making sure to remind the people making the announcements that they needed to remind people walking that it was a walk -- and if you felt like jogging at all to join the 10 mile run that started later... (Last year people that had jogged most of the way finished ahead of many of us that had walked and they got medals for a walk... I didn't see that as fair & commented about it... They were great and announced it many times this year before the start)

Started out right in the front & stayed there... The man that ended up winning and I were side by side getting each other to walk a bit faster since we were pacing each other for the first 2-3 miles... We were following two people... One close to us and one far off in the distance (that he caught up with in the end). We kept gaining on the gal that was close to us & when we were close enough to pass, he just charged on... Passing her and bolting ahead like an energizer bunny...

After he did that the 4th mile seemed to take forever because I didn't have anyone to help pace me... I just got into the groove in my head. And kept peeking behind me to see how close the competition was.

The first five miles was on country roads & then we went onto what is called the Heritage Trail - lots of ups and downs and ups and downs on a trail. My hip flexor hurt a bit at this point and it hurt to do any of the ups... But I just pushed through it and eventually it didn't bother me anymore.

After the 3 miles of trail it was back onto the side of a road for a bit. About here is where I realized and felt my socks bunching up in my shoes... I wear so special socks that have two layers to them (helps prevent blistering) and they had slipped and on of the layers had bunched up under the ball of my foot... It was grinding on the bottom of my foot & not feeling good at all... I normally would have stopped and fixed it. But this is the only event I do competitively & there was no way I was going to stop and lose my lead for that... So I just kept going.

Next was THE HILL... Yes, I capitalize that for a reason... Imagine going straight up a hill for 2-3 blocks... Man oh man...

The gal that was right behind me came REALLY close to passing me on this, but I just kept trudging along & kept in front of her. (Back to my new favorite chant "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - as was on my shirt today as well...) I was really, really panting and out of breath by the time I got to the top of the hill & when it leveled out and I was trying to get in onto the track to finish.

I didn't know how far ahead of her I was and I had worked REALLY hard to get there and stay there and I didn't want to lose it at the end...

It was great to officially win this event this year...

2 hours 3 minutes - first place Woman walker... :O)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home