Monday, June 19, 2006

Vancouver Women's Triathlon - June 18th

My 6th Triathlon was the anniversary of my first! I've come a long way baby! LOL

I was so lucky at this event to have my family along with me... It was great! I had a personal photographer, and a cheering squad on the sidelines for me when I finished the swim & the walk portion of the triathlon. Made for some great encouragement!

Now to tell this triathlon story.

We arrived by 8am (a full hour before the start time as they suggested). We unloaded my gear and headed over to get my race packet. I couldn't believe they were giving me a swim cap that had me starting in the middle wave of swim starters... I am usually in the last wave, so I was immediately worried about being "run over/swam over" by those starting after I did. We headed on over to the transition area. (one of the most lax ones I have been to about letting people in and out.) I got body marked, on my upper arm and the back of my calf this time. Headed to the bike racks & selected where I wanted to be (not enough people there for them to have assigned places).

Set up my stuff, put on the timing chip (on an ankle band), numbered my bike & double checked everything. The kids were antsy to look around more, so we headed down to look at the water. There was no keeping them off the sand until later... They were all over the sand and it wasn't long before they had their shoes and socks off and were splashing around and having a blast! There was no tearing them away from that, so I headed up alone to get my wetsuit on. Back down to the water's edge & watching them splash around more... Too cute!


(If you want to see the images larger, just click on them and a new window will open up with the full sized image)
Before I knew it, it was time to get going in the water.



Last year we started the triathlon waist deep in the water, this year they had us starting clear out in the water - out at a buoy! The first wave was off & I just started my back float swimming out to the buoy to start at. I got there and started treading water to wait, but that was taking up too much energy to stay there. I back floated in one place to relax a bit & then they were counting down the time to start 7-6-5-4-3-2-1... It was official, we were starting.




I just stayed back letting as many of the gals go by that I could and I was off and going on my back. I tried my front for a bit, but I end up drinking too much of the water, and I still get too overwhelmed about the distance I still have left to go... So on my back is the way I am comfortable... Swim, swim, swim, swim. Bump into someone. Look up and correct my direction. Swim, swim, swim. The next wave of people were starting out. It wasn't too bad when most of them passed me. I was out past 2 buoys by then & I just put myself out away from the closest lane so they could pass me easily. (not all of them passed me anyways...) Having them coming up behind me actually helped because I was able to keep an eye on them coming up behind me & I could align myself along with them. Worked pretty well other than I kept doing it (peeking up) and my neck got sore!

I kept going and going and going like an energizer hippo (they swim slowly right?)... I rested a few times just floating on my back, but then I kept thinking if I just keep going I will be done faster! The silly swim cap came off my head at one point, I panicked for a few seconds about that, tucking it into the neck of my wetsuit so I didn't have to hold it the whole time. Mentally I worried about them not knowing what wave I was in since I didn't have the cap on, but eventually I didn't care, I just kept swimming... LOL

When I finally made the turn that I was perpendicular to the beach & headed back in, it seemed like FOREVER to get close enough to the shore to stand up. Eventually I was alerted that I was close enough by S screaming "HI MOM!" at me!!!

I stood up and waved at them & felt the full weight of my body come back to me as I trapsed out of the water. I asked Mike what time it was & figured out real quick that I had done the swim in 34 minutes... (Actual time the race people had was even shorter at 32 minutes) I was so happy & energized about that! The last time I swam a 1/2 mile in open water (last year) it took me 40 minutes (with a rocky start though...)





So up the hill I went to my bike. Peeled off the wetsuit easily. Dried off a bit & put on my socks and shoes for the biking. Ahh yeah, I needed the helmet too.

This transistion had a special treat in it too. Someone else was in the transistion doing something special. Something that was going to make for a long transistion time... She was breastfeeding her infant son! I told her that was dedication to be able to do an event & take time to nurse in the transistion area! Too sweet...

So off again I went. Walking my bike out to the "mount" area & pedaling away I went, with a smile on my face, for I had just finished the hardest part (for me) and was on to the biking that was FUN, FUN, FUN to me!

I was out and going... Enjoying the country setting seeing lots of fields, cows and calves. One field had to of had 25 calves in it, I was looking at them for so long that I almost rode off the road! (not good) Back into concentrating on my ride... I was cruising along. Catching up with others on their bikes. A lot of them on mountain bikes (where I was last year), only my new road bike allowed me to be able to catch up with them & pass them. I maintained an average speed of 17 mph... 42 minutes 12 seconds to go 12 miles...

I had a blast again doing the bike portion... It is just fun to get out there and go quickly. No slowing down because I am not the greatest swimmer, or because I choose to walk instead of running. Just pedal, pedal, pedal. It is sort of the "equalizer" for me...

Back into Vancouver Lake Park, off the bike at the "dismount" line. Had to talk to my legs to convince them that it was time to WALK again. Parked my bike, changed my shoes. Sat on my bucket that I had brought along this time - and got a comment from a husband of another participant about what a neat idea it was to use the bucket. I told him "Yeah I learned this trick last weekend doing another triathlon."

I carried in some of my gear in it, it was perfect to sit on while I was changing shoes & great to put my wet wetsuit into when we were leaving!

So I had my walking shoes on, took another drink of water quickly, grabbed a little bag of cookies I had & I was off again... Walking, walking, walking...

I had a lot of fun trying to catch up with a gal in front of me that was mixing it up walking a bit, then jogging a bit. I caught up to her & would get ahead of her & then she would jog again & get ahead of me... We paced each other most of the way. Was actually a good motivator.

Other motivations were three different people that were jogging and caught up with me & said something on their way by. One was telling me I was all muscle since I was walking... That it took so much more power to keep walking, while the runners were using momentum to keep going...

The next comment was how many more calories I was burning because I was working so hard to keep the pace up walking. And she said she had been trying to catch me for such a long time.

The final one was a gal that came up behind me & told me I was her new inspiration, that I had done so well, kicking her butt on the bike (I passed her) and going so strong on the walk... These comments were just neat to hear... Bigger triathlons and such are all so competitive and big that no one ever has time or takes time to communicate with each other. This smaller scale one with just women was different! :o)



I was finishing up the walk when I spotted Mike and the kids in the park. It was cool to see them run up along side me. They wanted to hug me, I told them they would have to wait, but they could run with me to the finish line. They ran along side me for a bit, but ran out of steam quickly at Mom's pace. They watched me finish and get my medal & then I came back for hugs and kisses.



I was excited thinking I had finished in 2 hours and 2 minutes... (compared with 2.5 hours last year) but then I heard the time of the next person coming across the finish line - and she was just over 2 hours, so my time had to have been less that two hours.



I went and looked at the computer results to find that I had broken the 2 hour mark! 1 hour 59 minutes and 47 seconds! :o) I swam 1/2 mile & beat my time from the previous weekend! :o)



This was a very fun time with the nice cooler weather, nice atmosphere, being an all women's event & having the cheering squad at the end as well... :o)

My time breakdowns: (it's not about the time for me, more than just finishing these events, but I love looking back and seeing my personal improvements)

Swim - 1/2 mile - 32 minutes 4 seconds
Transition 1 - 5 minutes 7 seconds
Bike - 12 miles - 42 minutes 12 seconds
Transition 2 - 2 minutes 36 seconds
Walk - 5K/3 miles - 37 minutes 47 seconds

Total Time: 1 hour 59 minutes 47 seconds

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home