Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hawthorne Farm Triathlon - May 6th

This was fun. A really fun event.

This triathlon involved swimming in a pool 500 meters (10 laps), biking 13.2 miles, and walking 5K (3.1 miles).

They started people in waves according to their estimated swim time. I was in the first wave because swimming isn't my strong suit. There were supposed to be 4 people swimming in our lane, but only two of us were actually there to swim, which was good. I can't imagine the coordination of four of us in the lane. Just the two of us bumped into each other plenty of times!

I did my swim in 14 minutes 38 seconds. I wasn't the last one out of the water, but close. I guess my method of breast stroke down and back stroke on the way back was slow, but it got the job done! It was neat that all the swimmers waiting to start the next wave were on the swim deck and cheering as people got out of the water. Really nice.

I was huffing and puffing when I got out of the water headed for my Bear in the Big Blue House towel... Outside drying off while making way across grass, down stairs and across a bunch of asphalt to the place where my bike was parked. Had a fun time getting biking shorts on over my wet swimsuit, bike jersey, coat, socks, cycling shoes and a helmet all on in 3 minutes and 40 seconds!

I was off on the bike & ready to go. Only regret was not remembering a water bottle for on my bike, I was thirsty! Followed the markings on the ground and enjoyed the ride through the beautiful countryside. Was fun to be passing people that I didn't swim as fast as, but was able to make up time while on the bike catching up with them.

Had a fair share of hills, but I was a bit better off this year with a better bike, and knowing how to shift a bit better, that I rode up all of the hills. (last year I can remember walking up a few). I was proud of myself for riding up them... There was one particularly large hill that I got to the top of & couldn't believe that their was a church at the top of it... It was just fitting... Then it was a steep downhill from there... That hill I was going over 30 MPH down the hill & using my brakes to slow myself down! (the thought of falling over off a bike at any speed is scary, so I take it easy and very careful)

I finished up the 13.2 miles in 53 minutes and 32 seconds. Pretty good in my book. :o)

Back into a different transisition area, changed my shoes, shed my coat and my helmet, grabbed my camelback & my MP3 player & I was off again in just 2 minutes and 38 seconds. Fun trying to tell my legs it was time to walk now... No more pedalling for now...

I got into my groove quickly with the walking and enjoyed people watching more since the whole course was out and backs looking at other people while you were walking.

I had fun watching the numbers on people (we were all body marked with permanent marker on our calves) to determine if they started in my wave, or in a wave behind me. I really liked the staggered start of this triathlon because it allowed us slower competitors to not be out on the course all by ourselves... The elite/fast people didn't even start until 9:30 in the pool (2 hours after I had started - I was totally off the course by then).

I was the only person that I saw walking this event. I sort of came up with a nickname for myself "The Walking Triathlete." Yes I have a lot of time to myself on these events and think of all sorts of things while I am out there.

I finished the 5K in 41 minutes and 22 seconds...

I have all of the times now because they posted them on the website, but I didn't have a clue how long it had taken me to do the swim or the walk portion because I didn't have a watch with me. So I was happy to see the results posted just to know the timing of it all...

My total time was 1 hour 55 minutes

All in all it was fun! Not sure how to display the GLASS they gave me as a finisher... Won't quite fit in the medals case Mike has made for me... Silly people - where's the hardware? LOL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home